When to Seek Help from an Online Family Therapist
Experiencing relationship challenges within a family unit is something that many struggle with. Whether it stems from miscommunication, feelings of isolation, challenges with blending a family, or even from serious issues such as addiction, there are many situations that might cause tension or strain among family members.
If you’re considering whether or not you should seek out an in-person or online family therapist, take a look at some of the below signs that family therapy might be the right choice for you and your loved ones.
- You’ve noticed that one or a few of your family members are exhibiting extreme emotional responses like excessive anger, sadness, fear, or irritability.
- You’ve observed that one or more of your family members is showing signs of helplessness or hopelessness, or that they seem to be deeply overwhelmed with everyday life.
- One of or more of your family members seems to be exhibiting violent tendencies towards others that go beyond the normal roughhousing that children often engage in.
- There seems to be a massive communication breakdown between family members, with one or more members refusing to engage the other and consistently giving the “cold shoulder.”
- One or more family members seem to be consistently isolating themselves and refusing to engage in normal family activities. This pattern of behavior goes beyond the standard adolescent or teenage withdrawal and is impacting regular family activities.
- The behavior of your child seems to have shifted at home or school. This might be noticeable through changes in grades or exhibiting destructive behaviors.
- There has been a traumatic experience that has occurred such as a death or divorce. This type of experience will naturally bring forward challenging emotions such as grief, loss, and confusion, and perhaps family members are struggling to cope with this occurrence.
- Someone in the family is experiencing addiction challenges with things like substance abuse or gambling that are impacting the overall functioning of the family unit.
- Dealing with overarching medical challenges such as cancer or heart problems can often impact family relationships. Additionally, if a family member is dealing with other health considerations like dementia or an eating disorder, this might also cause additional strain on family relationships.
Get Online Family Therapy with Us Today
Finding the right in-person or online family therapist can definitely be a challenge, however, our amazing staff at ACT Teletherapy will support you in every step of the process. From pairing you with a trained mental health practitioner to supporting you in reconnecting with your family and working through any issues you might be experiencing, we’re here to provide you with exceptional mental health services. Give us a call and book your appointment today!